Exploring local places, our theme for the 2021 CBA Festival of Archaeology is all about helping people discover the archaeology and heritage that is all around them. Our Festival of Archaeology 2021 will help people get out and explore their local places, to discover stories, sites, buildings, places, people and events that make our local communities so special.
We want you to help us celebrate local sites, stories and the people who lived and shaped our local places. Archaeology is a great tool to help you do this and to find out more about places through time.
- How have they changed and how do we use them today?
- Who lived and worked there in the past and do we use them in the same way today?
- What can you see today that would have been in the landscape 10, 100 or even a 1,000 years ago?
While you are waiting for this year’s Festival of Archaeology to get underway there are lots of ways you can start to explore your local place. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Try our Local Explorer Bingo Challenge and see how many things you can find. This is a great activity to do on your daily walk.
- Take a wander down your local high street and think about how it has changed over time. If you are a member of a local archaeology society or history group this could make a great research project.
- Discover Dig School(link is external) and learn how you can use archaeology to find out about the people who lived on your doorstep. Dig School is a series of online workshops and activities ending with the opportunity to dig a test pit in your own back garden!
- Try out a self-guided walk.
- Got a question about an object, site, feature or simply curious about something unusual – get answers from archaeologists around the world on Ask An Archaeologist Day.
- Contact your CBA regional group, local archaeology society, history group, museum, library, and archive to find out what they are doing and how you can get involved.
- Find out more about ways to participate in archaeology and share your experience as part of A Day In Archaeology.
- Watch out for our growing list of events and activities and sign up for our regular updates via the Festival website.
- Become a member and supporter of the CBA and get involved in our activities all year round. Find out more here https://new.archaeologyuk.org/become-a-cba-member.
How to get involved
Festival of Archaeology events offer opportunities for all ages and levels of experience.
- Take part in an event near you. Festival events including hands on activities, fieldwork opportunities, talks and guided walks, re-enactment and much more.
- Participate in our online events – this year we will be offering a range of online talks and workshops
- If you have a local place you would like to share, why not put on your own event for your community.
Events will be listed on the Festival of Archaeology website from April. In the meantime, we still have a range of fantastic events and activities from the 2020 Festival that you can view at any time. Search the event listings at https://festival.archaeologyuk.org/find.
Event organisers can find out more information on this year’s theme in the organisers area of the website.