Muhu stronghold (Castrum Mone), dating from the 13th century, has a beautiful round courtyard, surrounded by a high ring wall. In 1227, this was the last stronghold in Estonia which surrendered to the German and Baltic crusaders, as described in the Chronicle of Henry of Livonia. The stronghold was built to an almost flat ground, covering an area of 110 m x 100 m. The courtyard measures 70 m x 65 m. Two significant hoards containing silver and bronze jewellery, coins, glass beads etc have been found from the wall.
Guided tour of Muhu stronghold with voluntary maintenance work
Volunteers are requested to help clear the archaeological monument from bushes.
Saturday 20 June de 12:00 à 14:00 (Guided by archaeologist Jaan Tamm)
Guided tour of Muhu stronghold
Guided tour of Muhu stronghold led by archaeologist Jaan Tamm.
Saturday 20 June de 14:00 à 16:00
- Eesti Ajaloomuuseum
- Maili Roio